Monday, August 23, 2010

Motivation Monday: Mini Goals

Mini or Micro Goals is not something new.  I've been preaching about them for quite some time here, here, here and here.  This week I'd encourage you to think of one thing each week you can achieve.  It's something that's realistic from where you are right now.  So going from sedentary to 5 hours will not work.  Set something that you can feel good about, something that you can realistically complete in a week's time.  Set yourself up for success.  So it'll be something you can visualize yourself doing for a long time, but more importantly something you want to do for a long time.  While I'm at it I'll share one of my mini goals:
-complete 12 miles
This is one goal that I have worked up to.  It's something that I can surely get done and have for the past year at least.  Also, don't feel bad if you have to tweak them here or there.  I've definitely done that.  Use them as a guideline.

One great reason I like a mileage or hourly goal for a week is there's so much flexibility.  Say you want to complete 2 hours of cardio in a week.  Some weeks you may do 4-30 minute sessions and other weeks you may only get to the gym twice for an hour each.  It provides wiggle room for life.  And we all need wiggle room in life.

No comments: