Saturday, August 28, 2010

Books 10-12

Book 10: The 5 Love Languages of Children
I really liked reading The 5 Love Languages as it applies to marriage and recently went to see the author of the book speak at a marriage conference, Dr. Gary Chapman.  I picked up the book at the conference and eventually began reading.  It was a great reminder of how to love your children using all the 5 love languages.  The basic concept behind the love languages theory is that each person has their own language in which they feel the most loved.  Mine is quality time and my husband's is words of affirmation.  Since we speak different languages (as most couples do) we have to make an effort to speak each other's language so we're both feeling loved.  All the languages include physical touch, gifts, acts of service, words of affirmation and quality time.  Since my son is so young we don't quite know what his language is so the book recommends you give all 5 that way you never leave out a language in case it's your child's language.  Later on, I'll be able to figure out which one is Jax's first and secondary love language which will help tremendously with behavior (kids like to act out when they aren't feeling loved) and overall well being.  I highly recommend this book if you have kids (at any age) and as a side note recommend regular 5 love languages book if you're married.

Book 11: You Having a Baby 
Great book if you're having a baby.  The book goes through recommendations for pregnancy and, as always, Dr. Oz explains the most complicated things so anyone can understand.  I really appreciate Dr. Oz's medical perspective because he combines both Eastern and Western medicine that is the most optimal for his patients/readers.  For example, the varicose veins are getting worse (as expected) through this pregnancy.  He recommends Bilberry (it's an herb) to help with circulation.  I love that.  While I may not start taking Bilberry until after the baby it's so good to know that there's a natural option.  Highly recommend this book if you're thinking about becoming pregnant or already.

Book 12: Runner's World Guide to Running and Pregnancy
I wanted to read a book on something that applies to my life right now.  There aren't many women I can talk with that have ran through their whole pregnancy (but I do know one!)  The book is a month by month guide to running.  What you may feel and what others have done.  A great book if you're a runner and want to continue through pregnancy.

1 comment:

kristine said...

i love these book reviews! i didn't know there was a kids' love languages! i love it for the marriage and think it's great to figure out with your child as well!

i also love the other two and will check them out if/when this situation applies to me!! :)