Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Happening

The other day I decided to scoop the driveway for my husband. Typically he does this every time it snows so it was kinda new to me. As I grabbed the shovel off the hook I thought to myself how much easier this would be if I had a snow blower, not to mention how much more convenient it would be for me. I wouldn't have to work as hard and it would get done so much faster. I wouldn't have to put forth much effort or energy.

As I was rearranging the snow I couldn't help but think how snow blowers relate to most of our overweight problems as Americans. Most everything in life needs to be convenient, easy, and quick. After all that's what sells. We won't buy it unless it offers us an easier way of life.

Why are we so conditional to something we all so desperately want? No, I'm not talking about the snow blower! We all want to be at our ideal body weight and we want to look at feel great, yet we don't want to:
1. Give up or reduce our soda intake.
2. Make exercise a priority.
3. Hire a trainer or join a class because it's too expensive.
4. Reduce other activities so exercise will fit into our schedule.
5. Give up all the short-term satisfactions in conjunction with food.
6. Stay away from fast food.
7. Stop complaining about being overweight and doing nothing about it.
8. Give up the friends that tell us we can't.
9. Stop talking and begin doing.
10. Make a commitment to ourselves knowing we'll really keep it this time....even if it kills us.
11. Stop saying we'll do one thing and then do another.
12. Realize weight loss takes 110% dedication.
13. Face our real issues that lie within and know that they hold us back.
14. Take time for ourselves.
15. Understand we are worth the fight!!

I can't help but let out my frustration with all the conditions we put on ourselves. Why do we never have rules for ourselves except when it is linked with success? Weight loss is HARD WORK! Remember that when you're watching all the "quick and easy" workout systems on infomercial this holiday season. They know we all want something for nothing so they'll use it by telling you what you want to hear.

Dig deep and know you're worth all the sweat, tears, and hardship success will bring.
You have the fight within you, find it, keep it and start using it!

No comments: