Monday, December 29, 2008

Come Alive People!

In the last two months I've come across two different instances where I've been in amazed by something.

1. The first was on television. I was watching an interesting documentary on the blue zones . Dan Buettner, the founder of Blue Zones, talked about the research he'd done in five or six regions of the earth that he found people lived the longest. I thought this was very interesting. In one situation he found a 92 year-old heart surgeon that still practiced! When interviewed he was asked why he still performed heart surgery. He said he loved it, it was his purpose. He doesn't believe in retiring and thinks everyone needs to always do what they love.

2. The second situation was in person. I have many clients that I meet with on a "periodic" basis, meaning I see them every couple months. This particular client I met with is a 67 year old woman. She's in impeccable shape! Her BMI is a very healthy zone, she's only got 25% body fat, she still takes up water skiing every summer and she's always made eating right and exercise a priority. She's 67 and wants to do her first 5K and half marathon in 2009. Proof that it doesn't matter what age you are in order to do something new! That night I just couldn't get over how great of shape she's in. So I asked her, "how have you always stayed in this good of shape?" and her answer was simple, "I have a purpose for living, I love life."

I thought it was no accident that these two occurrences happened so close together in my journey through life. It was so interesting to see how others lived and how even later in their years they had an amazing quality of life; doing whatever it was they wanted to do. They truly love living. Then last night I stumbled upon this quote and haven't quite been able to get it out of my head. I love love love this!

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."


So figure out what it is you love to do....AND DO IT! Life is too short to do things that you don't like to do. Plus I firmly believe that if a person does what they love, typically they are really good at it.

Come Alive People! Do I have to shout this?

No comments: