Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Temptation: The big "D"


I am tempted all the time. Chocolate, need I say more? The other night I was seriously craving a long john doughnut from a bad bad store I call QT. It was 10:30pm and I was dying. I LOVE doughnuts. Note: the only reason I mention this is because even though I am a personal trainer, I am also human.

QT is just minutes away from my house, I could just hop in my car and in less than 5 minutes be tasting a delicioso treat. NO, NO, NO. This is bad. For many reasons:
1. It's way too late to have something like that right before bed. I will wake up with a stomach ache that's not worth the 5 seconds of joy I get from gobbling it down.
2. Healthy people that do unhealthy things become unhealthy.
3. I needs sleep, go to sleep and dream about the silly doughnut.
4. I don't need the high fructose corn syrup, gluten, sugar, and all those carbs. No one does for that matter!

The dramatic conclusion? I stopped obsessing about it and went to sleep. Of course, a good ending to this story-that's why I'm sharing. A victory and guess what, the next morning it didn't even sound good to eat...I wanted my protein shake. Done!

I think the hardest part is getting over the mind-set that I have to have it and have it now. Once I get that out of my head then I can celebrate that I just conquered a small hill. I know I will have a lifetime of doughnut battles but my goal is one-by-one, small victories that will lead to winning the war.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Mandy,

I just love that you are a real person. It is great. You have such commitment. I marvel at what you know and teach me all the time. Thanks for being willing to share your weaknesses. It is nice to know that I am not in this alone.