Thursday, July 3, 2008

From Jillian

I really like Jillian Michaels. Yeah she's a celebrity trainer and does quite a few things on her show that would NEVER work in reality. However, we're on the same page for the most part of fitness issues and weight-loss theories. She sends out a newsletter that I get in my "junk email account" most everyday. Here's what she had to say on Monday of this week, I thought it was good so I wanted to share as my "ode to the hump" lots of us are working through.





You Choose, You Win

There's no such thing as mindless weight loss. You can't sleep off the pounds or take a miracle pill that burns fat. Losing weight is about making the right choices, every single day, in a variety of different situations. Here's how one of my online teammates took control:

"I have had such a great weekend that I want to share it with you. I have been to three social events (eating events) since Thursday. I have purposely stayed away from them whenever possible until I felt more in control. I wanted to be able to go and enjoy myself without the anxiety of feeling deprived. It's like I had an Aha! moment and tried a new tactic for me. I made a plan ahead of time. I decided to go, have a good time and not deprive myself.
I decided ahead of time that Saturday would be a high calorie day so in the morning I did a cardio workout that burned 400 calories and that's how much I upped my calories for the day. Then I decided I could have anything I wanted but, I only had a certain amount of calories to spend.

I had a bridal shower for brunch and my son's birthday dinner. At the shower, I decided I would pick out the three things that I thought I would enjoy the most, of course paying close attention to portion to stay within my budget. I probably scanned the buffet for a full 10 minutes to make sure I got the best bang for my buck (LOL) and I drank water because I didn't want to waste valuable calories.

After eating I got up and started walking around taking pictures...it was a big shower and I only knew the bride, her sister, and her mother. Taking pictures gave me a chance to meet people and kept my focus away from the food.

For dinner, we decided on Mexican food and margaritas. Yum, my favorite! Again, I chose to drink water, not wanting to waste any calories. After hearing Jillian say that one margarita has about 800 calories I passed. Not worth it. I had a very satisfying dinner.

When I weighed myself this morning I was down another 1/2 pound. I CAN LIVE THIS WAY! Success tastes so much better than anything I could eat. This afternoon I went through my closet and pulled out anything that was too big. Now they are in a bag at the basement door, waiting pick-up by the Kidney Fund. I don't need them anymore because I will NEVER be that size again." – ngidding

No comments: