Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wonder Wednesday: Poser

I'm reading this book, Poser my life in twenty-three yoga poses by Claire Dederer.  Granted, I'm only on chapter 5 but so far it's a great read.  I connect with it because I've been practicing yoga since August of 2008.  How I fell into yoga was linear: I got pregnant in 2006, gained 50 pounds by 2007, started running to help lose the weight in 2008 and by mid 2008 had horrible knee pain from running too much, saw a chiropractor that also teaches yoga in August of 2008.  I've been in love ever since.  Fast forward three years which brings me to this book.  I relate to it well because the author is a mom that practices yoga. Go figure!  It's deep and I connect through her experience of mom and yoga-hood.  In this edition of wonder Wednesday I wanted to outline 3 things I've gotten from the book this far:

1. from page 35---I had discovered something; there was a pleasure in becoming something new. You could will yourself into a fresh shape.  Now all I had to do was figure out how to do it out there, in my life.

I love this because it describes transformation: trans·for·ma·tion/Noun:1.A thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance. It's what we go through in life but sometimes never grasp that it's happening in order to embrace and enjoy the process.

2. from page 50---Until then, I would fake it.

Reminds me of the expression, "fake it until you feel it."  I don't think there's anything wrong with that because in my experience it normally works.

3. from page 4---Fear. I hadn't even known it was there.

This takes me back to some of the first times in class attempting the pose below and I was incredibly scared.  At that point I realized there were many things in my life that I feared and often operated in response to that fear.  

No comments: