Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Race 9...Check!

My mom and I ran the Northwest Walk/Run/Roll 5K.  It was a run through my alma mater and benefited the althletic training department.  My husband spent many hours with the many ripped hamstrings he acquired over his 5 year football career there and I felt it only suitable to support the department.  Plus it's a really pretty run through the campus and a short race-something I could sprinkle between 10K's. 

I am so proud of my mom for doing it with me.  She just got into running recently but has always been very active and we set a good pace together.  Since she's an empty nester she's been doing a really great job of taking care of herself.  Well, she's always been a very healthy person.  She's the first one that ingrained in my head I HAVE to eat breakfast and would always get very annoyed at my "11pm microwave feasts" informing me I don't need to be eating so late at night.  So from the very beginning I got some great metabolism advice and shaping.  It's something I appreciate as an adult more than ever because she set me up for a healthy adulthood instead of letting me get away with poor nutrition habits growing up.  As I could get away with poor nutrition then-just like most active kids can.  While I'm at it another thing she encouraged was eating fruits and veggies.  Sure I could always have better days but for the most part I enjoy eating these types of foods because I grew up eating them.  My mom's roots are that of a farm girl so she was surrounded by lots of good food-items they grew themselves from the ground up.  I'm sure she's a lot of the reason I am doing what I do today.   

And sure, you might notice my mom and I don't look a thing alike.

No comments: