Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book 15 and 16: Active Birth and The Carb Lovers Diet

I can't remember if I've mentioned my goal to have a natural birth this go around.  At any rate, this was a book a friend recommend I read that helped her get through her labor drug-free. Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally by Janet Balaskas was a great read.  It educated me on the different stages of labor and how laying on your back is the absolute worst way to help a baby move through the birth canal.  No wonder my back hurt so bad last time?!  Or that my sacrum felt as though I'd broken it.  And not to mention how long it took Jax to actually move down the birth canal.  He was at a 0 station for quite some time.  Long enough for them (the nurses) to get so impatient that they began C-section paperwork because they were convinced  he would not come through my hips.  Well, I definitely showed them!  But looking back I really believe it would have been a completely different birth experience had I been able to feel my legs and move around.  I guess we'll see this time.  I'm really hoping for a completely different experience.  And, boy do I think I will be getting one!  So the book was a great read and one I'll come back to in the coming months as a reference. 

Book # 16 was The Carb Lovers Diet by Ellen Kuhns and Frances Largeman-Roth, R.D.  As much as the title of the book would have you believe that this is a carb diet, it's not.  It's really a well balanced meal plan book that gives step by step instruction as well as a lot of yummy looking recipes for how to eat a balanced and well rounded diet without having to deprive yourself.  I have to admit, I'm intrigued and will definitely try it out once I'm no longer housing a growing babe. 

I think the author is right on with a handful of pieces of advice:
1. We need 25-25 grams of fiber (found mostly in carbs).  Most people get fewer than 15.
2. At least 10 grams of resistant starch (RS). Most people get fewer than 4.
3. 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Most get fewer than 3.
4. 3 servings of whole grain. Most don't even get 1.

Some other nuggets of knowledge are that RS increases your metabolism thus burning more fat.  The food item with the highest level of RS is a slightly green banana.  Once the banana becomes all yellow the RS drops dramatically.  She's got a great banana shake recipe to get in that RS:
1 banana
1 1/2 C of 1% low fat milk
2 teaspoons of honey
1/2 C ice
blend!

Another good one is the fat-flushing cocktail:
2 Quarts brewed green iced tea
juice from 1 orange
juice from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lime
Mix together and store in fridge for up to 3 days.  Serve hot or cold.

I could go on and on about this book but really I highly recommend it.  I borrowed the book from a friend and will be returning it but buying my own copy and trying it out in 2011. 

I don't feel this is a fad diet but rather teaching you how to eat right.  It's all about eating good, nutritious foods without cutting out a food group.

And after saying all of that, I'm still not sure I'm cured of my carb phobia! But, go get the book.  It's a good one to try it out yourself!

3 comments:

kristine said...

yay! i'm glad you read active birth and i hope it was as inspiring as it was for me!

why can't you do the "carb lovers" while you're pregnant?

Mandy said...

The first week is a 1200 per day calorie plan and the second week is 1600. I need about 2300 per day is the only reason I need to wait to follow the exact plan. Although I can use the format and just double the calories!!!

Kathy said...

I tried the green tea and citrus drink over the weekend. While I was tempted to add sweetener, I didn't and was able to get it down. It's actually pretty good if it's room temperature.