Monday, September 27, 2010

Motivation Monday: Tiny Progressions

I've been thinking a lot about the difference in my life now from five years ago.  Even though I've been a trainer and into exercise I've slowly evolved into a much healthier person.  I've got a grip on portion control, no longer need to eat pasta every time I go out to eat, most weeks my sweet intake is respectable and exercise is a major part of everyday life.

I know this sounds crazy coming from a trainer but there are definitely trainers out there who don't practice what they preach.  Maybe they don't even preach the right things because, let's face it, there's a ridiculous amount of trainers out there and many of them don't lead a life that resembles health....but they exercise!

That all being said I'm not saying I have it all together.  Just last week I broke loose and bought a box of swiss cake rolls.  I downed 2.5 packages and threw the rest away.  The triumph here is that I threw the box way.  Typically I would have polished off the remainder in an attempt to just get them gone. 

Anyway, what I'm saying is take a look at the last 5 years of your life.  Look at where you were 5 years ago.  Are you any better off than where you are now?  Make a list of all the improvements and then make another list for the next 5 years.  Make a list of areas you want to work towards and know in your soul that it might take every bit of those 5 years to get there.  Because, "all things great take time to achieve."  Give yourself a break and give yourself time to adjust.  I think you'll find a lasting lifetime improvement. And isn't that what we ultimately want?

1 comment:

kristine said...

i like this: The triumph here is that I threw the box way. Typically I would have polished off the remainder in an attempt to just get them gone.

because i would have done the same thing. not wanting to waste... but i will have that triumph too!

and great idea about making the list. i am going to do it! i am worse now than five years ago and that's disappointing to me. i want my body to be stronger in five years. check back in with me, k?! :)