Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Book 14: Authentic Christianity

This is a book our pastor wrote.  We recently switched churches and in the new member class we were given this book.  It was a good read in regards to spiritual walk and an overview of what it looks like to be an authentic christian.

I had a couple of favorites with this book.  First, Kim talked about his struggle with workaholism.  That "enough was never enough" and that Satan would whisper things like, "You have to do this task now...you can't stop until you are finished...you must get everything done today...you need to work harder....you have to do more, no matter how tired you are."  This passage really hit home to me because many days I will have these same thoughts.  Kim said that he learned a life-changing lesson on restfulness, for Jesus never encouraged a lifestyle of heavy burdens or compulsive responsibility. (p 63)  What an encouragement that we don't have to live under the thumb of workaholism.  That we don't have to get everything done today.  That passage has been a tremendous help and Matthew 11:28-30 is also so refreshing...
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me., for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

One other point in the book that spoke to me was in regards to ministry.  Sometimes its hard to know where I'm suppose to be in ministry but one great point that was made was something a friend told Kim in college.  He said, "The more you do what you know, the more you know what to do."  So doing what I know and letting God reveal to me what is next in time...again simply refreshing.

Highly recommend this book if you are searching for a starting point.  Or maybe you've been a Christian for years but need a boost. 

2 comments:

kristine said...

sounds good. i will have to check it out. is it available in all book stores? library? or just at your church?

Mandy said...

I'm not sure-you can borrow my copy though!