Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book 13: The Culprit and the Cure

This is a book that would be very boring to most.  Actually I borrowed it from a client and she told me she didn't expect it back anytime soon.  She's a reader and it took her quite a while to get through so I anticipated a similiar situation.  But why should I have thought that?  I love books like this.  It's the inner nerd in me that loves numbers and solid research.  I'd highly recommend this book but know what kind of a person is giving the advice.
The book isn't anything we haven't heard before.  It's all about how lifestyle is the single most important key factor to our health diminishing as a society at large in America.  More interesting is the research and facts.  Here's my favorites:

- 78% of Americans don't eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies.  The average American eats 2.7 servings of fruits/veggies per day.
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death and the single most preventable death!
- Each pound of muscle uses about 25 calories every day.  That may not seem like much, but over a month or a year, it adds up.  That's why having muscle helps prevent weight gain.  Losing muscle makes you more likely to gain weight.
-Excess body weight does not suddenly appear; it tends to creep up on your.  It is a gradual process that takes months, years and decades.  If you gain only a little weight every year, it doesn't take too many years before you become obese.

So I really like this book because it focuses on all the realities of living healthy. My I-don't-care-itis post was inspired by the book.                                                                                


No comments: