Thursday, January 1, 2009

Comfort Not Necessary

There was an email I received from a client of mine yesterday. She's someone that I would call a lifelong learner as she's constantly expanding her mind with new information. I'm just lucky enough that she shares it with me! Here's parts of that incredible email. The information is excerpts from Michael Port's (author of Book Yourself Solid) new book, The Think Big Manifesto.

Think Big Statement of Purpose for 2009
Get Comfortable with Discomfort (if the Shoe Pinches, It Fits)

When we are thinking small, we crave preordained outcomes.
We want to know what's going to happen before we begin.
Control is an illusion. The need to know how and where prevents all progress.

Outcomes are not the starting point.

The twin demons of failure and rejection are mental illusions, the standard bearers of "excusitis." They sap our will. They suck away our energy. Pressures exist. Deal with it. To do big things in the world is dangerous and vital.
Avoid control. Seek challenge. The more uncomfortable you are, the more challenged you are. Only then will you see the true liberation of breaking free from what you fear. It is life itself.

When we seek to control, it is because we fear the unknown, the out of control. What we fear is reality, because ultimately it can never be controlled. The reality of reality is this: Every time we find an answer, so, too, we find a conflict with that answer. The closer we come to the core of a matter, of ourselves even, the more we realize the contradictions in the world and in our own nature.


As we become more comfortable with discomfort, so our capacity to do big things increases. Know that if what makes us uncomfortable seems small, it's not the same thing as small thinking. Each challenge is our worthy opponent. As we take on bigger challenges, so the next larger challenge becomes more manageable. The more we overcome, the more we can overcome.


Think: Will I rise up and put myself in consistently uncomfortable situations in order to think big about what I offer the world, even if every fiber of my being tells me to sit down and shut up?

Yes.

Comfort is a relic.

What's inside your comfort zone? What's outside? What makes you uncomfortable? Why?

Statement of Discomfort
I will not seek control.
I will make visible my purpose, make promises in its service, and take risks to fulfill my commitments.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing - That REALLY spoke to me, especially this week. I tend to stay in my comfort zone and had a surprise opportunity this week that took me way beyond it and now I'm a believer...push your limits!