Sunday, January 18, 2009

Slip Up

As much as I absolutely hate to admit this, I've had a slip up. Arg! I have to write about this experience as painful as it is for me to admit that I got a little crazy over the last four days with sweets.

To start the story off right I need to express my love for traveling and vacationing. One of my theories on living life is to work really hard and play really hard. Thus my need to always schedule vacations.

So my husband, son and I met his parents for a quick trip to Disney World. I didn't melt until Thursday evening when Twix, Reeses, and snickers started calling my name. At first I ignored them. I knew they'd stop sooner or later and I could be tough and push through the moment. Then they started screaming my name and by then it was too late as my teeth were already sunken into Mr. Twix. Then, to top it off I had some coke. What an ugly night. Then Friday approached and it was a new day in my mind, I'd justify the previous night as "candy bar" night on my blog. No one would know...right? Friday night we went to a dinner show and did very well except the only darn thing they served to drink was coke. I thought that was extremely weird and even asked the waiter for some water although it never happened. So I drank some coke on Friday again. Saturday wasn't horrible. The day went very well but since we did so much walking I was STARVED by dinner. I had a hearty dinner and couldn't help but follow it up with a couple of bites of brownie. Then there was today, where I told myself I was going to behave. I went to a baby shower and gave into the cake and sugar cookies.

So, what is my deal? I practiced one sweet a week throughout the whole month of December making it through the holidays with ease. The first couple of weeks in January also went very smoothly. Then we go out of town for just a little tiny bit and bang, I've fallen off the wagon.

The phrase I repeat over and over again to my clients is "focus on the positives and don't let the negatives get you down." While I've just spent four paragraphs explaining in detail my failures I'll spend the following with the victories. This is a list of reasons why I WILL NOT give up on my sweet-a-week goal for 2009.

1. There is no benefit to giving up even when things get tough for me.
2. I'll make my own rules. Instead of throwing in the towel because I messed up, I'm going to group my sweets over the last four days, "Orlando Trip." We'll all know what I mean.
3. This is a growing and learning experience. I need to understand that my hunger and lack of discipline on vacations is an issue. Next time I'll be better prepared.
4. Even though the last four days was a sweet disaster, I'm doing better than most. I have a goal and a plan for the remainder of the year. Without that plan I would be lost and probably over-indulge on sweets most days of the week.

There it is, my confession of losing it and attempting to regain control. One thing that the last four days has taught me is that I hate being out of the driver's seat. I've really enjoyed the sweet-a-week experiment because it's given me the reigns to control my eating life. I like the realization that I purposefully skipped an unneeded sweet, or(better yet) saved up for a really enjoyable treat!

No comments: