Monday, September 22, 2008

Trotting Along

I'll start from the beginning. February 2nd, 2007 my baby boy, Jax was born. Oh I love Jax with all my heart, he's all I think about every single day. However, along with Jax, came 50 unwanted pounds. For some reason I was super duper hungry throughout the entire pregnancy:). I would eat a meal and 15 minutes later be ready for another. Since I didn't deliver a 50 pound baby the weight lingered and Jax was in my arms. I needed to lose quite a bit of weight and deifinitely felt overwelmed. Being the planner that I am, we scheduled a family trip to the Bahamas in early May, only 3 months after Jax was born-yikes!

Exercising my booty off and eating well was the only way I knew would get me the results I wanted. So that's what I did. I exercised VIGOROUSLY 6 days/week. I did this along with watching what I ate and skipping late-night snacks (something I became very good at the previous 9 months). Most of my exercise regimen came from running. I worked up to run around 4 miles 3-4 times per week in combination with strength training 3-4 times per week. I lost almost 40 of the 50 pounds in 3 months, just in time for our trip.

Of course that was a big victory but I had the last measly 10 pounds to go. That was tough. I actually didn't get my act together until March or April of this year and it all came off. A pound or two just wouldn't go. Although, I wasn't as concerned with the last 10 as I was with the first 40.

Since I was running as a means to lose weight, I accidentally fell in love with it. I loved the freedom it gave me to clear my head and think as well as time away to keep my life "balanced." So I decided last year that I would sign up for a couple of 5K races; the Kansas City marathon 5K in October and the Arthritis Jingle Bell 5K in November.

Then I got a crazy idea to complete an organized race every month in 2008 in order to stay accountable to myself. So far I'm on track to complete that goal-yay! As if 12 organized races in 2008 wasn't enough, I thought it would be nice to complete a half marathon and marathon as well.

Back at the beginning of 2008, I'm not sure if it was February or March when I decided I would work to complete the Nike Women's marathon in San Fransisco. The date for the marathon is just 4 short weeks away from yesterday; October 19th. When I decided to do the marathon, like every other decision in my life, I thought about it for quite some time. It wasn't a decision I made overnight. The first thought of the word, "marathon" entered the picture late 2007, probably around November. I went back and forth, back and forth. Should I or shouldn't I go for the marathon? The decision really weighed on me for quite some time. Alas, I decided to go for it.

So here I am 4 weeks away from my goal of completing a marathon. Right now has been the toughest part of all. I see the finish line but there's still so much to go. Gosh the 20 miles I need to complete this Saturday is just draining. You see, I have what's called exercise ADD. I love exercise but I've always had to mix it up. Even in my classes, I get super bored if we do the same thing over and over. I guess it's a good thing but right now the last thing I want to do is put on my running shoes. I'd rather go for a good bike ride or head to a pilates class. Just something to change up my routine. But the SWEET feeling of sticking with and accomplishing a goal I set for myself is what's getting me through....plus knowing that I'll get my fix of every other fitness-related activity when I'm done training for this race.

So there wasn't a ton of meaning to this post other than I have struggles too, even as a "trainer."

1 comment:

J said...

I totally understand. Just walking I get bored out there by myself for such long periods of time! I'm glad I've had walking buddies for the last few long training walks but can't wait to get out of these running shoes and on my bike. Now there's some motivation to get across the finish line in SF!