Friday, August 1, 2008

Graston

This summer I've been training for the Nike Women's Marathon. I'm trying to train to run my first ever marathon. It's been a lot of fun but also a lot of headaches. My body hasn't been cooperative with all the miles I've wanted to put on it. I've been struggling through an IT band contracture since the end of March. The IT band contracture causes pain in my knee only when I run-yuck! Just over a month ago, a very special client of mine, Johnna, told me about Dr. Kucera.

In just 2 treatments my knee was much better. The reason I can keep going is due to the Graston Technique she uses. I also love going to her because she's had the same issue when she was training for a marathon. I love that she's so healthy and into exercise. I feel that's something very rare-a doctor that lives what she tells her patients. I really value that. Lastly, (as I could go on and on) I really like Dr. Kucera because she really listens to what I have to say and she asks tons of questions to get to the root issue in order to solve your problem. I feel like she truly wants me to get better!

I want to share what exactly the Graston Technique is because it can help many ailments, including but not limited to: Adhesive Capsulitis, Ankle Sprains, Back Pain, Canal and Foraminal Stenosis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrom,e Fibromyalgia, Hamstring Sprain/Strain, Headaches, Hip Pain, Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome, Knee Pain, Neck Pain, Patellar Tracking Disorders, Plantar Fasciitis, Postural Imbalances, Rotator Cuff Sprain/Strain, Spondylolisthesis, Tennis Elbow, and Wrist Pain.


Graston Technique is a method used to detect and treat the changes in fibers of our muscles, fascia (covering of muscles) and other soft tissue such as tendons. Changes in fibers typically occur from either a trauma, repeated misuse of our joints and muscles, simple everyday activities, or even by our poor posture day after day. Fibrotic changes are much like tiny scars that begin to inhibit function of our joints and muscles and ultimately cause pain. By using specific stainless steel tools, this technique stands out from other manual methods like massage, active release or trigger point therapy. The tools make it possible to detect the changes on a more subtle level. These are often things that practitioners can't feel or treat with their thumbs or fingertips. Since it is easier to find, it is easier to treat. In treatment, the tools are moved lightly across the surface of the skin in an effort to breakdown the tissue and bring blood and nutrients back into the area again (a process that I imagine makes our muscles say "ahhhh.....").

As you can imagine, a technique that allows fascial changes to be detected works exceptional in areas where we have large bands or layers of fascia like the iliotibial band or ITB, the plantar fascia, and the lower back. With a knack for breaking down scar tissue, Graston also works great for the muscles and joints that have a reputation for getting used and abused like our rotator cuff, knees and wrists. Other common conditions it has had more than favorable results with are carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis, tendinitis, chondromalacia patella and ankle sprains (old or new). This technique is also worth exploring if you are still looking for something conservative, but feeling like surgery is the only answer.

To find out more, visit www.experiencesage.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Mandy...I think this can help a lot of people...including me!! Yvonne

Sophia Jason said...

Graston message technique is a form of soft-tissue mobilization that detects and breaks up scar tissue that impedes normal function of muscles, fascia, tendons and ligaments. It is usually performed by a massage therapist or chiropractor, and involves the use of specialized tools that look like handlebars, a boomerang and a thick metal tongue depressor. This message technique can treat many conditions like - Tennis elbow, Back pain, Tendinitis, Sprains, etc. Visit here to read more http://alternativemedicines.tv/story_1592.html