Sunday, May 11, 2008

Brain Overload



This weekend I attended a 2-day fitness conference where I was able to hear from the “best of the best” in the industry. There were a variety of presenters from all over the US. I was also amazed to see some of my favorite instructors from Fit TV and popular infomercials give presentations.

My husband knows best that whenever I learn something that’s very fascinating to me, I regurgitate it to him and most anyone I think would be interested to hear what I have to say. In the spirit of things I deem intriguing, here’s a list of 20 things I learned this weekend (in no certain order):

1. The worst possible food you can eat is anything with Trans fat.
2. It’s very important for women to get 800-1200 micro grams of Folic Acid/day.
3. When taking vitamins the best form is capsule but if required to take in a tablet form, make sure it can be broken in half very easily. Otherwise very minimal nutrients will be absorbed by your body.
4. When running marathons (or half) make sure to increase your antioxidant intake.
5. Marathon runners have a higher risk of developing cancer in their life because of the oxidation process and the oxygen requirements it puts on the body. I found this extremely interesting and intend to do more research on the subject. (Note: my husband has an aunt that passed away a couple of years ago from cancer, ironically she was a PE teacher and avid marathon runner. She was in her 40’s when she passed.)
6. When buying eggs, get Range Free.
7. All “fresh” produce in regular grocery stores barely hold any nutrient value. Example: Oranges are expected to have 100-150% vitamin C of your RDA. When a sample of 1000 oranges from 48 states and 25 grocery stores were tested, the oranges only comprised 10% RDA of vitamin C.
8. The reason that produce does not have any nutrient value is due to the fact that fruits and veggies are picked from a distance far away from the grocery story BEFORE they are ripe. Thus the nutrients from the tree cannot get into the fruit. The fruits are then sprayed with MSG for preservation. MSG is a toxic chemical, that when they spray MSG on the produce full body zip up suits with oxygen masks are to be worn by the people spraying our food.
9. Caffeine decreases nutrient absorption.
10. Do not intake soy unless it’s fermented.
11. There is no nutritional value to milk. Interesting.
12. Functional Strength is missing in our youth’s physical education program.
13.I learned a tidbit of the Egoscue Method.
14. 10 functional abdominal progressions.
15. The pelvic placement is crucial in shoulder mobility.
16. 2 new techniques to do crunches that should help with neck pull.
17. Many, many new exercises with the medicine ball, ball, and band.
18. I have Gliders and the bender ball along with fun exercises to go along with them.
19. 7 new cardiovascular programs to promote fat metabolism.
20. A new look on periodization and exercise programming.

This list could literally go on and on, I learned so many applications its ridiculous. So to my many clients: Don’t be scared by this list yet be energized as we are going to have some adventures together. I look forward to trying every little tidbit I learned this weekend on you in the future!

Ahhh...my toolbox feels full again!

2 comments:

G! said...

Wow!! I love the list! Love it...

ok... so why only fermented soy?

and what are the aerobic exercises for metabolizing fat? tell me tell me! (Was it our homework for this week in EQ.)

yay! tool box. :)

Mandy said...

Yes, one of the ultra fat burning exercise I learned this weekend was your homework for this week. I will be interested to see how many miles that coverts to for you.

Read next blog for fermented soy.