Friday, March 21, 2008

Only Human

This is somewhat of a difficult entry for me. I really dislike talking about myself, normally friends would vote me a good listener. My passion is asking questions, getting answers and observing behavior. However, I had an experience much like many of my clients the other day and feel the need to expose it.

This Wednesday around 4pm I was at home. The weather was wonderful, around 70 and I still hadn't gotten my second run in for the week. My brain told me to hit the new 4 mile route through my neighborhood I mapped a week ago. Though my body was singing a different tune. I was tired, tired because I hadn't done anything throughout the day since I was strictly at home this week taking care of my sick child. The music on my ipod was getting old and I just felt lethargic altogether. Maybe a little hungry but knew if I ate anything I wouldn't go on that run. Yes, I wanted dinner at 4 o'clock in the afternoon!

What happened next completely threw me for a loop. I needed something to rejuvenate me for the energy I would expend during the 40 minute cardio experience which faced me in the near future. I proceeded to take a nap. About 20 minutes, just enough to give me that bit of energy I was lacking. I also took a quick look at the new songs on itunes. I'm really enjoying Leona Lewis, "keep bleeding in love" right now. Something about the beat that really works for me.

It was a GREAT run. I enjoyed every minute and every step. I was so happy that I followed through.

I must point out how easy it is for me to slip away from a healthy lifestyle-just like anyone else. Yes I am a personal trainer; which is why it's so hard for me to be so self disclosing about my personal hang-ups. Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy exercise but sometimes it's difficult for me to pick myself up and do it. I often think if we all had that "feel good" feeling before we exercised and the only way to keep it was to begin exercising-it would make life much easier. However, in my short time here on earth, I know life isn't all about being easy. Maybe I am nuts but there's something about a embracing a challenge and "getting there" that really does it for me.

Micro goal setting played a huge part in my success the other night. Making a little goal to participate in a 5K each month, a 100 mile bike ride in August and a marathon in October put a huge amount of fear on my plate. I knew that if I don't keep my training consistent, I will pay for it later. I am the typical person-I will always need to have a micro goal set in place. Otherwise I could very well fall off the wagon. I thrive on making a plan and sticking with it. I like checking things off my list. Well, I definitely checked off that Wednesday night workout!

1 comment:

Mendy said...

I was waiting for the swiss cake rolls? What about them??? I love that you wrote this, Mandy. Spring break has been so difficult for me to stay focused on my goals as well. We are human and I think others need to see that we can be very weak at times too. Love ya