Sunday, March 2, 2008

Get There

I've been thinking a lot lately about how to get my clients to their goals. Of course there are the obvious things like exercising and eating well but we all know it takes more than that. Over the past couple of days my brain has been going over and over this topic. I've been reflecting back on my personal goals and looking step-by-step at what it took for me to get there. My husband would tell you it's my stubborn personality, but there were more ingredients that took me to where I wanted to get. Thus, this post is dedicated to everyone reading that needs some direction and focus in getting to their goal. It's very easy on January 1st to make those resolutions and the endless promises to yourself about what you are "gonna do". So my thoughts....

1. Micro Goals: Instead of, "I want to lose 20 pounds", focus on the tiny goals that will get you there such as: exercise 5 times per week or eat breakfast everyday.

2. Positive Focus: It's easy to come down on yourself when you mess up like eating a dish of ice cream at 10pm before bed. But I beg you, don't do it! Instead focus on the good things you did that day. Maybe on the same day you ate ice cream at 10pm, earlier you worked out for an hour or passed up the second helping for dinner. Important...this is NOT Mandy giving you an excuse to flub up, rather it's an understanding about yourself that you are human and will make mistakes.

3. Keep a motivator handy: When I was working to lose some baby weight last year, I kept finding myself craving late night snacks. I brought myself back to why I wanted the weight off so badly - to fit into my clothes. I made myself try on the clothes I wanted to wear and it motivated me when I saw that they didn't quite fit yet. It gave me the power I needed to forego eating before bed.

4. Don't Lie: Treat yourself with respect. Don't tell yourself you are going to lose weight or begin an exercise program just to find 5 months later you have given up. Avoid false assurance, instead trust yourself. I am sure you wouldn't lie to a friend so why do you deserve to lie to yourself?

5. BELIEVE: This one is the most important of all my random thoughts. I want you to believe and visualize yourself at your goal. Maybe you don't have the strength to do it on your own. You need the help of someone else, a higher power perhaps? I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Phil 4:13

These are just some ideas if you feel you're falling short of the goals you made for yourself 60 days ago. Keep going, you can do it....I know you can....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great words Mandy! You think I could be ready to do this if I started this week? I don't know. I'd like to get into better shape than I have ever been in. So does Bob. We have access to MWSU's facilities. What do you think? Where should I start?