Sunday, November 28, 2010

Never One Size Fits All

I came across this study over how essentially every one's body responds differently to strength training and endurance training.  Then I read over this study where they studied how many calories short versus tall people burn while walking.  Both studies proved a hypothesis I've had for quite some time while being in the trenches of the training field.  I've observed both scenarios on numerous occasions and have always felt strongly that while we humans are so alike, we are also ridiculously different.

Some people respond so incredibly well to strength training and/or endurance training but I've also witnessed the opposite.  The human body is remarkable in that I never have it figured out but my guess it goes back to genetics, body type and epigenetics-the complex process of turning on and off of genes through the environment including what you eat and where you live.  All this is just fascinating!  It's also a good reason that I never treat any one person the same.  We all have unique needs and unfortunately most of the time have to go through a period of trial-and-error to figure out what methods would work best for our own personal body.  So if you haven't found it yet keep trying, it's out there!

No comments: