Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Shut out the Noise

Get past the noise. When things get uncomfortable, noise happens. I was in a class the other night where we were doing some difficult exercises. We were holding a certain position for quite some time when I noticed noise enter my thinking. It was loud and uncomfortable and all I wanted was for it to stop. My response was a quick shift for instant relief and for what I thought a better feeling. I am sure the instructor noticed my constant "relief" motions to the exercises because she addressed the whole class to what I was doing/feeling. I kept giving in to the noise, or the hard exercises. Instead of battling them head on and getting through the...well it was pure pain, I gave up. There is no way I can gain strength or even an appreciation for what I'm doing if I continue to stop working through the noise.

There's always going to be noise whether it's in the form of a difficult exercise, a crying kid, a demanding husband, a co-worker that always brings your favorite dessert or a huge mortgage payment. Whatever the form, we live in a noisy world.