Monday, January 28, 2008

1 Down 11 To Go!

We made it through the tunnels of Hunt Midwest Cave this weekend to the finish line of our first 5K race this year. A pre-race picture of me and the hubby!


Sharon, a former client, also ran the 5K with us. I have to brag on Sharon because just 1 year ago she was a completely different person. Here's her story:

My name is Sharon Muir. I am 36 years old. I am the wife of Rob and mother of 4 year old, Ethan. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed with this chronic illness 10 years ago. I take many medications to control my disease. My goal more than weight loss is to live a healthy life in a more healthy body. I am achieving that goal by eating healthy including adding more veggies to my daily diet and eating smaller portions. In January 2007, I began taking the Women's Equilibrium Class. I took the class for 8 months and went from a size 16 to a size 10. Since the year 2005, I have slowly lost a total of 35 lbs. The most current 20 lbs. just melted off due to reshaping my body and reshaping my daily diet. My new hobby is exercise. I have made exercise a social and stress relieving part of my life. I am part of a small group of ladies who have a 2008 goal to run/walk at least one organized 5K race every month. With my current combination of weight loss, exercise, healthy eating and arthritis medications I am in the best mental and physical shape I have been in since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

Sharon shaved 10 minutes off her 5K race time at the Groundhog run. Way to go Sharon....I am so proud of you!!


Here's Sharon's Before Picture

And Here's Sharon Now!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be getting somewhere...for a moment I thought a race might be fun! Keep trying! That is a great story, I am going to pass it along to my mom. She needs some motivation. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Sharon. That's very inspiring.

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mandy! I got your blog info from your note about your Feb. 23 event and thought I'd check it out - I'm in your Temple bible study. My husband and I also ran the Groundhog run...and we're planning on the Snake Chase in March too. Thank you for sharing Sharon's story - and Sharon, many huge congrats to you girl - you're a rockstar!

Anonymous said...

Oh ya...I noticed that your posted/planned 5K's end in August and had to suggest the KC Zoo run to you for an AWESOME September event, if you haven't done it before. I've participated the past 2 years...and although it's actually a 4 mile race it is FANTASTIC!! The course winds through the zoo over asphalt, wood, concrete, and dirt paths - with all the scenery the zoo has to offer. It's definately my favorite course. The event website is http://www.kansascityzoorun.org/, each year they feature a different animal to benefit (last year was orangutans and the year before was elephants). It's a good run.