Friday, February 4, 2011

Limiting Beliefs

Even though I'm on a little maternity leave, or what I consider a sabbatical from training my mind is still on training (sure it's also always on the new babe too, of course).  I think about all my clients...how are they doing, what are they up to, are they behaving?! :-)

So I finished reading Cruise Ship or Nursing Home and absolutely loved it.  It's all about preventative health, taking care of your body NOW.  I like that its not just a "how to" book but a "how to do it" book.  For example the authors talk about limiting beliefs-I love this concept!  Limiting belief is a belief you have formed in your mind that is stopping you from making progress.  And I could write about this all day long because I think so many of us suffer from limiting beliefs.  A great way to know if you are suffering from limiting beliefs is the simple fact that you are not making any sustained progress in areas of your life that are of importance to you. It could be your weight, health, fitness, finances, relationships and so on.

Now, how to overcome this?  1. Write down a belief that is holding you back. An example may be, "I'm too old to lose weight." 2. Now cross out that old belief, "I'm too old to lose weight." and write a new empowering belief. Change it to "I can lose weight easily and quickly."

Lastly, make it stick!  Retrain your brain by saying this new belief 3 times in the morning and 3 times in the evening.  When we're used to thinking negatively it's easy for our mind to go back to that because it's so natural.  In order to think a new way, at first it will take some effort. 

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." -Sir Winston Churchill

No comments: