Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Race 1...Check!

I have the most amazing clients. They do these races with me! Laura and Tina participated in the triathlon and Johnna and I did the duathlon together.

First I have to brag. All of us finished in either first or second place. Hello?! We seriously rock! Must be the trainer;)

Anyway, it was a ton of fun. In 2009 I took a break from races. Not sure if I was burnt out from the marathon at the end of 2008 but running in a formal race just didn't sound like much fun in the last twelve months. Instead I really focused on taking classes that would increase my flexibility and challenge my body's overall strength. This year I'm doing both races and classes.

At the duathlon we began by biking for 30 minutes. Johnna was next to me and really kickin' it. I mean, I couldn't keep up. It was so fun to do a race like that with her. Johnna does many races. She began the race journey with me in 2008 and did even more races in 2009. Johnna has so many great qualities that I love in a client and friend. She's strong. She's stubborn and never gives up but instead always asks for more (so you can imagine how this is my ideal client). She loves doing things that make her feel alive. How awesome!

Okay, back to the duathlon...so we're sitting on the bikes, spinning away. My legs feel like they're going to fall off and I do think my heart might leap out of my chest. My heart rate monitor read close to 90% but I was having the time of my life.

Before I knew it our time was up and we were ready to head upstairs to the treadmills. 20 minutes was the requirement. This wasn't too bad. I could handle a run. It was tough and my heart rate touched the 90%ile again but it wasn't as painful as biking. The race was a good indicator I probably need to suck it up and get on a bike more often. A good spinning class might be the answer.

No comments: