Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Slow Down

The pace of life is fast and it seems to always be getting faster. Multi-tasking and filling up the calendar happens on a daily basis. We are stressed out and over-scheduled. Why do we feel the need to always stay busy?

While I may not understand the answer to that question, there's some reality to the effects of a hurried lifestyle.
1. We feel more stress
2. We lose our joy
3. We are less productive-People who are in a hurry make mistakes
4. We lose focus of what's really important in life

I know there are days, weeks and sadly sometimes months where my calendar dictates my life and there never seems to be any time to recover.

How to S.L.O.W the Pace
S=Slow the constant push for more. Why are we never satisfied? Why is there always a need for more? To have more things, a bigger house, nicer car or flashy clothes...will they make us happier or better people? We all know the answer to the question yet will soak ourselves in misery trying to attain something that really doesn't matter.
L=Learn to say no. I had a good laugh about this one with my friend, Mendy, the other day. We always talk about how we need to say no more often. Unfortunately for me I normally start trimming my schedule after it gets too unbearably busy.
O=Omit activity one day per week. Take one day where nothing is planned, nothing has to be done but just live and be around people you love.
W=We make our life what it is. What about your life, schedule or priorities is out of whack? Make the change and take charge to fix it. There's no reason to spend too many days unhappy, get up and slow things down yourself. I often ask myself what my purpose is for my life. When I answer the question it's easier to shift my life where it needs to go and take out the unnecessary.

No comments: