Sunday, March 22, 2009

Simplify!

I love this concept...oh I am a dork! I had this thought yesterday that my favorite word is consolidation.

*Notice: Before further reading of this post know that I am boarder line, obsessive and possibly needs medication.

It could just be my nature but I love making things more simple. However, I think in order to begin the process of simplification, goals need to be in order. I was doing some reading earlier this week and found this wonderful definition of success which I'd never heard before.

Success is a progressive realization of worthwhile goals.

My goal for keeping life simple is so that I can spend time doing things worthwhile. Just as an example, here's some things I try to do in order to keep it simple.

1. At least 4 times per year go through closets and give clothes/things to others that need it. If it's sitting in a closet, I obviously don't need it as much as someone else might.

2. Put things back. This is a simple one for me because I'm an organizer by nature. Every thing in my house needs to have a place. I have actually gotten rid of things because there wasn't a space for it. I dislike clutter so much.

3. Make weekly or monthly meal plans. This is most useful when going to the store, that way I don't buy anything that's not needed. The budget stays happy this way.

4. Get re-usable bags. These are great! (if only I can remember to take them to the store with me 100% of the time) Not only does it "consolidate," it's also great because plastic bags are no longer needed. I dislike storing the bags until I can make it to the nearest recycling center so just not using them at all makes sense.

5. Keep a planner and try my hardest to stick to a schedule. This ensures that I don't spend too much time doing too much of one thing or another in any given week....keeping balance.

I love watching clean-up/organization make-over shows. The other day I was watching one and they had 4 simple rules to helping maintain organization.

1. Keep Flat Surfaces Clear. Don't use counter tops or beds for storage.

2. Establish and Maintain Zones. Keep certain items in specific places. This way there is never a dispute as to where something should be. It makes life much easier when trying to find an item in a short amount of time.

3. Maintain Limits. I like this one. I have this thing for bags/purses so I try to follow this rule. It's the one in, one out rule. For every new bag/purse I buy, an old one gets donated. This way we never accumulate too much clutter (I would have a closet full of bags and purses if I kept all the ones I've purchased).
4. Create Daily Routines. Each night before I'm done with the day, I pick up all the toys Jax got out and tidy the house. It only takes about 5-10 minutes. It helps me sleep better at night and in the morning I have an organized house.

I fully realize this post might make some of you want to puke. Not everyone needs to be extremely, freakishly clean but these little tips did seem to make a lot of sense. It does save time and money to know where things are and keep living space for living and storage space for storage!

Believe it or not, simplifying can be related to weight loss. Go figure! (I can link anything to health if you give me a minute) There's even a book about it. Peter Walsh's book, "Does this Clutter Make my Butt look Fat?" expands on the life you want to live (without clutter-food or things). I've not read the book myself (but intend to in the near future). However, I think it all makes sense. Analyze how you take care of your living space in association with your body. There's probably a link.

No comments: