Friday, March 6, 2009

More in the Morning

This isn't a new concept but I think it's one that's hard to begin.

Eat more in the morning!

Recently I've added extra calories to my morning breakfast routine. It's dramatically reduced the amount of calories "I think" I need at the end of the day. Late night snacking has always been difficult for me as I've always struggled with wanting to eat lots of carbs at night. My breakfast includes the shake I've always drank but now includes 2 eggs (sometimes I make it into an omelet with onions and green peppers) and then some oatmeal. It's around 400 calories but doesn't leave me starving by lunch and dinner time. I'm no longer playing the crazy cycle game of catch up throughout the day with my calories.

Not only has it worked for me but last night a client, L, also tried the theory. She's always struggled with eating a lot late at night. She's on the run in the morning so eating a good breakfast has always been difficult. Along with that, her husband works late and she wants to share dinner with him so she saves her calories for that time. However, saving 1000 calories for dinner isn't going to work for weight-loss or even weight maintenance. She told me yesterday that she ate her normal breakfast but added a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to the mix. It worked great for her because it was something she could eat on her way to work and it also drastically helped her late night eating binge.

Even though this isn't a ground-breaking theory , it might be worth a shot if you find yourself battling hunger throughout the later part of the day.

No comments: