Tuesday, March 31, 2009

1st Quarter

I'm an optimist. By nature I always see the glass half-full. This includes my view on clients, friends, family and even myself. Recently I've felt that I fail to reveal or perhaps even notice my "flawed side." Goodness, with the previous simplify post, you'd think I was housewife of the year. Not even close. While I choose daily to shy away from darkness, it's still there. It's always there. Just mostly I choose not to look at it....sometimes I take a peek though.

This thought links well with my 1st quarter of the year as it relates to sweets. I do feel proud of how far I've come. I honestly think working towards one sweet per week has been one of the best decisions I've made. I finally feel (somewhat) in control of myself as it pertains to food. Cutting out sweets has, oddly enough, helped me eat healthier in other areas. I actually LOVE salads. When the rare occasion occurs and we go out for dinner or out to eat I would hardly get a salad. Now it's a treat.

While my one sweet per week plan is not 100% perfect, it's getting there. Each day is a little different. Some weeks it's Friday or Saturday and I realize I haven't had (or even thought about) a sweet. Those are the easy weeks. Other weeks, it's a constant battle to stay away from the doughnut/bakery section at Target. I'll find myself staring at the baked goods/sweets for quite some time and eventually talk myself out of grabbing anything and head out the door empty-handed. I mean, not all the time do I talk myself out of grabbing something-but it's getting better. I think I'm a sweet-aholic. However messy the progression, I'm getting a much better grip of my addiction to sweets. Here's,specifically how I've improved:

1. I no longer make daily stops at QT for the brown frosted long john.
2. I no longer eat a sweet just because it's there (ie. social events).
3. I plan for my sweet each week. I know what it's going to be so I'm not as tempted by other sweets. I know I'm holding out for one that's worth it.
4. I no longer buy any kind of sweet. We have NO sweets at our house that I like enough to break my rule. Only yucky mint chip ice cream that the two boys I live with need for simple indulges. I don't falter because of this.
5. Now, if I eat too much of something bad, my body revolts against me. I normally get a stomach ache if I over-do the sweets or high fat food.
6. No more swiss cake rolls. Thank you Jesus! SCR Free since October 2008.
7. My sweet indulgence is typically a banana with peanut butter.
8. It's even helped curb late-night eating. My late-night eating used to be the QT doughnut from above.
9. I still love sweets but I no longer feel the need to have one every single day. That's HUGE for me.
10. No more homemade brownies or sweet treats. It's a good thing as I used to make a pan and it would be gone in a day or two.

No comments: