Friday, June 6, 2008

Shoulders and Hip Opener

Wednesday I did a silly thing. I decided to ride my bike for 25 miles. I'm training for a 100 mile bike ride in August so logically I thought that would be a great idea. It was so much fun but I was very sore yesterday. The only slight problem is the 1/2 marathon is on the books for tomorrow. In working to recover from cycling to prepare for running, I put a couple of things together:

1. When cycling most muscles recruited are from the anterior (or front) side of the body. MUCH like the muscles many of my clients use everyday at their desk job/sitting all day hunched over at a computer.
2. Many people fall into at least one category: A) rounded shoulders B)shoulder "issues" C) no flexibility in their shoulders
3. Cycling does not help rounded shoulders or tight hip flexors.

Some Simple Solutions:
1. Sit up taller! As we age gravity takes makes us shorter so think about it more often and fight it!
2. Stretch your chest and hip flexor muscles. Here's a great posture for that (from the yoga world). Click here for the step-by-step.

Note: You don't have to stick your toungue out to execute this properly:)
3. Strengthen your upper back muscles. I like this exercise below, the 1 arm row. Remember to engage your rhomboids by squeezing your shoulder blades together. We want a flat back when doing this exercise so also make sure to hinge from your hips.


Lastly, I've been working on recovering and "babying" my body and muscles that ache. Here's a handful of things I've been doing to make sure I'm fully recovered from my silly idea:
1. Foam Roller. Constantly I'm using this to rub out any knots in my muscle fascia on my legs.

2. Epsom salt bath.
3. I got a 90 minute massage yesterday. This is a must even if you aren't sore.
4. Stretching almost all day long.
5. Icing almost all day long.

There it is-hopefully something will work!

No comments: