Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Favorite Mantra

A while ago a friend told me this

Comparison Kills Contentment

Ever since then I've looked a little differently at myself and others. I have to admit, I'm a perfectionist. I've always compared myself to others. 100% of the time I used to find areas where I don't measure up when comparing myself to someone else.

I found myself tempted to revisit this issue yesterday. There are so many people faster and stronger than myself at races like these. People passing me and finishing the race with a better time. How did I fight it? I constantly found my self-talk as "stay focused" and "concentrate on your race only." This mindset has helped me in many areas of my life. I can honestly say I AM focused on my race/life only. I have no control over others and can only have power over my actions.

I think this can apply to the fitness world nicely. Many people are trying to lose weight. Yet they go to a gym where most everyone is already in great shape. How discouraging that can be! Here's some tips I think can help fight this mentality:

1. Focus on yourself only.
2. STOP comparing yourself to others because there will always be someone faster, stronger, smarter, prettier...need I go on?
3. Look at your situation. Where you've been and how far you've come.
4. Surround yourself with positive people that encourage you.
5. Dis-engage yourself with people that tear you down. It's amazing how crummy a person can make you feel while building themself up. I think they can do this in an in-direct or direct way. Distance yourself from people like this. They can only hurt you and your success by making your self-worth go down the drain.

No comments: