Sunday, April 6, 2008

Training begins soon!

It's official, we are going to San Fran for the Nike Women's marathon (or half)! We made the lottery along with 20,000 others. The race is set for October 19th, 2008 while ironically the Kansas City marathon (or half) is scheduled for October 18th, 2008. There is a handful of you out there that are interested in training for the Kansas City race. I would encourage you to do so! We have quite a few people that will be walking a half marathon either in KC or SF so know that there is no pressure of turning anyone into a runner.

I mention this because if you are interested in the KC half marathon I would invite you to train with our group over the summer and into the fall months. I anticipate this to be a very fun time with lots of socialization. Your assignment if you so choose to begin training with us is to work on increasing your weekly mileage average on your own. This is what I would like:

*If you are a beginner, start slowly at around 6 miles per week. That is mileage that is broken up over a period of 7 days.
*Start where you are and slowly increase your weekly mileage. Slowly increasing will reduce your chances of aquiring shin splints. Good shoes also help this! Our goal is 15 miles per week ultimately.

April is CRAZY for me so I am looking to begin our "official training" sometime in May.

No comments: