Tuesday, May 4, 2010

No Hands

A few days ago I was scared out of my mind.  What was I thinking...going on an adventure like this?  I could handle the tour through Tulum and even the snorkeling in a cenote. But repelling from a tall tower and zip lining over 80 feet in the air?  I mean, I'm a mom and a wife and I shouldn't act so recklessly...right? 

There was all this logic pouring out into my brain that felt and looked like fear.  I definitely recognized the fear.  This time I didn't want it to take over my actions because I wanted to face my fears as I knew it would be a lot of fun if I could fight through it. My knees were literally shaking as I'm not that great with heights and my hands were sweating..profusely.  However ridiculously scared out of my mind I was, I mustered up the confidence to repel off that tall tower and zip line...twice!  It was awesome and I was so proud of myself for following through.  There was a freedom and a release of putting aside my logical "thinking" and just doing. 

It made me ask myself what I was really holding onto in the first place.  I don't think I ever have a grasp on anything anyway.  It parallels with what I've been learning lately.  When it really comes down to it, I have no control....even when I think I do.  Life will play out as it's suppose to despite my efforts to worry.  So why not let go and enjoy the ride?  All this coming from a self-diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder that suffers from perfectionism and lives with Type-A characteristics.  Hey...at least I'm trying. 
I'm sure you can imagine I was scared out of my mind in this picture.  The photographer told me to let go and can you believe I did...stiff arms all the way to my fingertips.

1 comment: