Monday, December 21, 2009

Ease

Definition
Pronunciation: \ˈēz
1 : the state of being comfortable: as a : freedom from pain or discomfort b : freedom from care c : freedom from labor or difficulty d : freedom from embarrassment or constraint

Application
There is an interesting (and unexpected) success when we stop putting pressure on ourselves to perform perfectly. Recently I attended my favorite get-away class. The whole 90 minutes reinforced an approach to difficult situations. An approach I most often never take because my DNA is tightly wound.

The class was playful and fun because there was an energy of no pressure and "who could care less" weaved throughout the format. It was a completely different experience than I was used to. Typically the class isn't this laid-back, sometimes it's serious and most always it's just downright difficult (the reason I attend). This time it was light, fun and very curious. I enjoyed it so much...which makes the get-away class perfect for leaving reality a bit.

I hit many more postures than ever before. There were even some foreign poses and previously when the instructor has done this (normally her body is in a pretzel-like formation) I react with a defeated approach secretly knowing I won't get it. After all it looks way too hard and I don't have enough flexibility or strength so sometimes I just half try the poses (knowing I won't stand a chance at even coming close to success). Well I didn't have that internal dialogue with myself this time, nor did I pressure myself into doing it. With much curiosity I just went for it. 100% went for it and guess what? I kinda, sorta succeeded. It left me feeling empowered.

So now I just need to care a little bit less and maybe, just maybe, stop putting so many expectations on myself. Allow effort to happen laced with ease.

No comments: