Monday, August 22, 2011

We All Say It

"I want to live a healthy lifestyle."

Do you think the verbiage just spins off our tongues without really thinking it through?  That it's ingrained in what we know we should do but don't fully believe in it enough for daily practice? I'm going to talk straight for a moment. So often I hear of people making a bigger deal of what they just did but should be doing anyway.  For example, someone feels really good about running 4 miles. They haven't ran 4 miles in years but they did it just this one time so they tell the world via facebook.  I'm not digging on the person running 4 miles (or on facebook).  It's sort of dangerous but sort of a step in the right direction, sort of (but not really).  They are trying and what they did feels like such a big deal and they are so proud of themselves. 

Here's what I'm trying to say, would we have to tell every person we see in a given day that we brushed our teeth this morning?  Of course not!  It's a given we do it everyday in order to maintain oral health.  So why do we make such a huge deal about exercise?

A hobby of mine is studying people who have what I want. I ask myself what they are doing to get what I apparently want. How did they get to where they are now? And I ask myself what are they doing every single day. When I ask these questions about a person that has what I want; I replicate.  The same is true for health.  I look at someone that's healthy.  A person that "lives a healthy lifestyle." To them, exercise and eating right are just the same as brushing their teeth.  It's no big deal because they don't give themselves the option.  Brushing their teeth everyday is mandatory.  Exercise everyday (or most days out of a week) is mandatory.  Eating lots of veggies and fruit and whole grains is mandatory.  They have bought into the theory of "living a healthy lifestyle."  They've bought into it so much that it's a non-issue.  There is no stress about if they are going to the gym or not. There is no stress about if they are going to eat loads of sugar today. The answers are ingrained into who they are.  There is no bragging about what they ate today or how many minutes they spent on the treadmill.  It's an everyday occurrence and would get extremely old talking about and obsessing about everyday.   

So that's the idea of where we want to go and who we want to be.  I think we all can say it would be refreshing to stop obsessing.  To stop talking and just do.  There's so much more to live for than being unhappy about where we are and dramatize over what we "know we should do" but aren't living it out daily. 

Here's the kicker: you don't have to talk about what you're doing because after time people will notice.  We all hear people talking about what they are doing or what they are going to do.  To me, it's fluff.  It became fluff a long time ago because I'm the most gullible person out there.  Seriously.  I used to get made fun of for all the random things I would believe.  As my husband says, "I'm a marketers dream."  Okay, so maybe I'm still a little gullible (you can make fun of me later).  And I am because when someone tells me they are going to do something, I believe them with my whole being.  I believe that what they are telling me is the 100% God's honest truth.  This might be a result of one major concept: I believe in people and know they can do whatever it is they really want to do. Isn't believing the ticket?  If we believe in ourselves to the very end, believe that even when it gets really, really tough we can still pull through because what we sought out to do matters.  I think so.