Friday, February 26, 2010

Book 3: Find Your Strongest Life

I'll be honest, this was a quick read for me. I skimmed a lot of the book but took notes on the major ideas that caught my eye.
1. As women age, they get sadder. As men age, they get happier. Interesting and probably true.
2. Multi-tasking is no good. Research shows that our IQ drops 10 points when doing two things at once. Yeah, totally true.
3. Life is full of choices. Buckingham suggests that more choices don't equal more happiness. In fact he states that more choices bring more stress. Oh man does it ever. I can't even pick out a loaf of bread without almost breaking into hives from the stress of a decision. I over-analyze things though which is definitely related to the stress.
4. Signs of a strong life: being successful (sure but we've gotta have our struggles too), looking forward to tomorrow (absolutely), growing and learning no matter our age (love this one; NEVER stop gathering and processing information), having our needs fulfilled (sure) and being optimistic (hello-majorly).
5. Strengths are those activities that make us feel strong. Our weaknesses are those activities that make us feel weak. Duh. That makes sense but when I really think about it it's so true. I feel alive when I do things that make me feel strong but I also know doing things that are a weakness will build character and become easier with time.

Gosh there were about a hundred more items that I liked in this book but I'll end with this:
A strong woman isn't what we do, it's what we feel.

Yes, a good read and would recommend it!

No comments: