Monday, April 20, 2009

Stages of Change



Transition. That seemed to be the thought I couldn't escape during a solo run the other day. I reflected on personal transitions as it relates to food. Acknowledgement that I've never been a super-healthy eater entered my realm of thinking.

I love food. That's probably one of the single most important factors that led me to a life as a trainer. I've consistently exercised since I was in the 7th grade. Actually, I can't remember a time in my life where I wasn't active. Up until the end of last year I can honestly admit the #1 reason I exercised was so it would balance my eating habits (as I LOVE food). As I age, I've quickly concluded my wonderful theory of habitual exercise and unlimited food no longer holds true.

Over the past months as I've publicly struggled with my one sweet a week goal for 2009. I am slowly transitioning my perspective of food but still fight it most everyday.

I really like the stages of change model and thought it appropriate to put myself as an example in order to explain it better.

Pre-Contemplation:
Living the life, eating whatever came my way and not realizing it was an issue because, hey, I exercise.
Contemplation: Looking for a 2009 goal of something I could do on a monthly or weekly basis. I contemplated the sweet goal for a good month before having the confidence in myself to go through with it.
Determination/Preparation: I'd classify this as the month of December where I "practiced" eating one sweet per week. Here I was definitely trying to convince myself it could be done...by me.
Action: I'm here today. Certain weeks seem like a struggle and it's 100% WORK to stay away from a sweet most days. I'll get glimpses of easy weeks where the days go by without the thought of a sweet...oh how I love those weeks.
Maintenance: This is my goal stage. I want to live this sweet thing out and I believe I can.
Relapse: If I go back to my old ways of eating sweets each and every day I'll be back to square one. I already know, I'm not going there.

No comments: