Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Celebration of the Body

Last Saturday, April 25th was the 10 year anniversary of breaking my neck. It was a hair line fracture to the C2 vertebra. It's a crazy anniversary to have but when I let my thoughts go as far to playing the "what if" game I know a celebration is in order. I've been told over the last decade how "lucky" I am that everything worked out the way it did as the result was miraculous.

Any miraculous situation calls for a celebration right!? What better way to have a party for my body than to attend my favorite yoga class? It's a 1.5 hour sweat fest and Gina's best torture techniques blended together in a way that keeps me coming back for more.

It was a great time of focusing on how much my body can do. The whole 1.5 hour was focused on the unique appreciation I have grown to have for my body. It was an amazing time of realizing how blessed I am to be able to move through each pose and enjoy the benefit of exercise. I was even able to practice (for the first time) a forearm balance. I didn't get it but the ability to be able to practice and the reality that I CAN attain it someday was enough.

The past decade since my injury I've been blessed to experience life with movement of my arms and legs-something that could have been taken away in the blink of an eye. Yet it didn't turn out that way but since April 25th, 1999 I've had a different perspective. Now looking back it's not surprising that the path I went down in the last 10 years was what it was. I believe my life today would be different had I not experienced what it was like to almost have life and mobility taken away. Here's a list of the last 10 years; a summary of what I've done with the gift of life and mobility I've been given:

1. Up my expertise in the sport of slalom water-skiing.
2. Figure out I love white water rafting.
3. Discover the pure joy that comes from having a child.
4. See parts of the world and experience different cultures. I love feeling cultured!
5. Find that I love working with people and helping them make their bodies stronger.
6. I can run 12 races in 12 months.
7. Some college degrees.
8. Getting married.
9. A love for learning and experiencing new things.
10. Feeling the wind on my face while riding a bike.

My hope is the next decade will bring just as many milestones. I just need to keep pushing the limit and always remember how wonderful it is to experience life and mobility and to do something with what I have.....hallelujah, my body works!

1 comment:

kristine said...

i never knew you broke your neck. i'd love for you to share that story with me sometime. especially knowing how you've accepted your experience and really taken something positive from it! it's a reminder we should do that in all things as well as celebrate the healthy bodies we DO have! thank you!