Sunday, February 1, 2009

Our Mindset: Lose it NOW!

In many different scenarios recently I've been reminded about how long term weight loss really happens. It's so easy to get sucked into the media and infomercials that market for the quick fix. However that's really not how it happens most often. Or as a trainer how we professionals want it to happen (as we know it probably won't stay off). I've explained over and over that weight loss is our body's reaction to the exercise and food we put into it. Depending on the person the reaction can take a couple of days or a couple of weeks or even months.

My recent experience has been a huge reminder of my own theory. Eight weeks ago on December 1st, 2008 I decided to limit my unhealthy/indulgence sweets to once per week. I did really well (if I don't say so myself) all through December. It was a huge change for me, going from an unhealthy sweet most days of the week to just once. Throughout all of December I didn't lose a pound. I thought for sure the big sweet change would give me some umph to losing the last couple of pounds I'd been dreaming of taking off. It didn't happen. However, my goal wasn't short term and I wasn't doing the one sweet a week thing for weight loss (although secretly I was hoping it would be a natural side effect). I knew I'd be sticking with this goal for all of 2009 and most likely the rest of my life (as I've found it to be very manageble). Fast forward to today. I've lost a total of around 6 pounds since the end of December. It took my body a whole entire month to realize the difference in what I was feeding it. My sweet intake is all that's changed in my daily diet so that small of a change might take a bit longer to register on the scale. Remember the more dramatic the behavior change the more dramatic the weight loss change.

In addition to my personal life journey over the last couple of months, Jillian Michaels sent me an email containing this testimony today. I think it's something everyone needs to read as it's so easy to get discouraged if we don't see something change really fast.

"Many of us are losing between one and two pounds, and we all sound the same... just one pound but its okay since I'm heading in the right direction, wish it were more, only 2, etc. What I want to say is that the one and two pound losses are AWESOME!!! They are not something to just 'accept' or 'wish that it were better... Slow and steady wins this race people! And we need to be HAPPY with those 1 and 2 pound losses... no not just happy, but HAPPY!!
I think when we see those HUGE losses on The Biggest Loser, we think that we should be pulling bigger numbers ourselves, but NONE of us are able to work out, sleep, eat, work out, eat, sleep, and work out some more. We are living in the real world with families, jobs, and activities. It is not an excuse! But getting one really good workout in per day, eating healthy, and working at obtaining a doable calorie deficit that you can be happy with and make a new healthy habit, is something to be proud of... remember, a 1,000 calorie deficit each day for one week equals 2 pounds and the end of the week. So those 1 and 2 pounders have to be celebrated. I am guilty of it myself... 'just 1 lb, but I at least it is in the right direction'... instead it should be 'YIPPY!! I lost ANOTHER pound this week!!'

A half pound, 1 lb, 2 lbs are success, and so anyone who achieves these smaller losses in a weeks time are successful too! I just want us to celebrate being a success — no matter how small the loss may be.

So CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who lost pounds this week... keep up the good work and pat yourself on the back — yes, even if it were a pound, do it! Pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that YOU are a success!!" –fit4deb


So my STRONG suggestion you might ask? Think of ONE thing that you're doing to your body (either eating or exercise-wise) and focus on phasing that ONE thing out of your life or just limiting it or increasing it to a manageable state. Think to yourself, can I do this for the rest of my life? If you can answer yes to that question then you'll know its the right time to make the change or at least begin working towards the change. A million small tiny baby steps make big huge things much easier to swallow.

No comments: