Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Average of 5

"When I was about your age, my uncle taught me that at any given time, we are becoming the average of the five people with whom we are most closely associated.  Don't ever underestimate the importance of whom you choose to be with." -The One Minute Entrepreneur (p. 3)

I didn't have to very deep into that book to hear the most important thing I've learned all week.  Isn't this so true?  Not only did I read that a week ago but today I got an email from fitness guru, Todd Durkin, emphasizing the exact same thing:

•Associate with GREAT PEOPLE. Our life and business is built on relationships. We are a product of the books we read, the things we listen to, and the people we associate with. Seek out and find great coaches and mentors, like-minded leaders who are pursuing common goals and passionate about living a world-class life. One of my own coaches once said, “If you want to be a great athlete, train with great athletes; if you want to be a great coach, learn from great coaches; if you want to be a millionaire, hang out with millionaires; if you want to be spiritually strong, hang out with spiritually strong people; who you hang out with and who you learn from strongly influences the person you become.” What great wisdom!

Maybe this is a hard thing to do because it may force out some unhealthy relationships but in the end most likely for the best.  Seek out people you want to be like, because in the end we are like the people we associate ourselves with.  I can honestly say I'm drawn to people I want to be more like....now I just need to make sure they are my average of 5! 

No comments: