Monday, June 27, 2011

Doing Less to Get More

What if we lived a life where material possessions didn't matter? A life where contentment met us every single day just because we got what we needed and there wasn't anything we wanted?  We didn't have to work long hours, stress about the mortgage, worry about how we're too heavy, not pretty enough or not good enough.  What if we just were?

Couldn't this be our life if we reached out and grabbed it?  Every single day I work on contentment because I know dissatisfaction is my reflection in the mirror.  Last week and into the weekend we painted most of the inside of our house including the garage (because I'm just that way).  Don't get me wrong I feel so great about it. I just love the colors and am so glad that it's over and done and we did it.  But I couldn't help but think during the process how insignificant the color of my walls on the inside of my house really are.  How the time I spent painting I could have spent playing on the floor with my 5 month old or riding bikes with my 4 year old.  Granted I squeezed in both activities but not for as long as I could have without the project.  It seems so meaningless in the whole big realm of things yet in my mind it has to be done.  Dissatisfaction.  Discontentment. Those two words seem to constantly overpower contentment. 

I think those two words are the root issue.  We have to be pleased with who we are, where we are in life's journey in order to get anywhere effectively.

Instead of adding more, strategically plan items out of your life.  Maybe I'm just wired differently but I'd rather have a small simple house with a small mortgage payment that's on it's way out the door in order to live without bills being jammed down my throat.  If we do less and consume less I think we get so much more.  Don't you?  Granted, it's not the American way but is the American way really the right way?  I think we can all agree something is completely wrong in our culture.

No comments: